- +44 20 8106 5400
- +44 7786 238963
Richard is the former head of KPMG’s Financial Restructuring Team in London and has over 25 years’ of restructuring experience, having acted as a Board Director and as both creditor and debtor side adviser.
Richard has led many complex assignments across a wide variety of sectors including Oil & Gas services, Refineries, Retail, Power, Hotels, Media and Telecoms.
Richard is a Chartered Accountant (ICAEW) and has also qualified with the Joint Insolvency Examining Board (JIEB).
- Richard spent 18 months in industry as a Board Director in a restructuring environment, having been invited to join the Board of a large chemical and carbon refinery business as the registered Finance Director following the completion of a balance sheet restructuring of the business for its lenders. Richard oversaw the turnaround of the business with a reporting line to the Board and the Chairman; this included the rationalisation of non‑profitable product lines, a significant reduction in headcount, and some site closures (the business operated from six sites in the UK, Belgium and Dubai). Once the business had been restructured, Richard resumed his role in professional services.
- Richard undertook an 18 month secondment at the Royal Bank of Scotland as a Director in the Corporate Restructuring Unit, working on a number of its large syndicated positions as part of the team which dealt with the Bank’s largest and most complex exposures, focusing on balance sheet restructurings and solvent solutions.
- Richard spent two years leading teams on overseas assignments, in jurisdictions that were going through material recessionary periods:
- Richard acted as the adviser to the Special Manager of a Thai financial institution in Bangkok, during a six month period of restructuring which included an assessment of the entire loan book, security and collateral.
- Richard acted as the adviser to the Receiver of a national banking chain in the Caribbean, which also included a full assessment of the loan book and security / collateral position, as well as support in addressing the restructuring of the ongoing bank. This assignment involved Richard being based predominantly in Kingston, Jamaica, for 18 months.
- Earlier in his career, Richard focused on both complex insolvency cases, and also advisory projects. Whilst Richard’s principal focus is on restructuring / turnaround advisory, his understanding of insolvency issues and considerations aids his client service, which often requires some contingency planning.